Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

APACHE WEDDING BLESSING

Several years ago, when I was an adjunct lecturer with the Leadership and Counseling Department at Eastern Michigan University, Gwen and I attended the wedding of a former student .  The Apache Wedding Blessing (It was a Unitarian wedding.)  that I've posted below was printed on the back of the wedding program.  Like other gifts Gwen left behind, I found it tucked away in a basket filled with memorabilia.  I remember discussing it with her, and specifically the last line about entering into the days of our life together.  We did try to keep that sense of adventure alive in our relationship, even during the days of her illness when she was always ready for the next outing, trip or visit with friends.  Early in our love we vowed to make the most of the days of our life together, and we did.

Shortly after Gwen's death I received this from a friend, a priest, who is now in Rome: " . . .  being with Gwen in a new way - the memories, the sense of her presence, the trust in her presence before our God."  And so it is with Gwen and me, still spending the days of our life together, just in a different way.


APACHE WEDDING BLESSING

 Now we will feel no rain,
for each of us will be
shelter for the other.
Now we will feel no cold,
for each of us will be
warmth to the other.
Now we are only two persons,
but there is only
one life before us.
Let us go now to enter into
the days of our life together.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.  I will remember that Gwen sent me 48 valentines.  And, the black silk panties.


1 comment:

cookie bretl said...

The Apache wedding prayer is one of my favorites. Some years ago I had some done in calligraphy on parchment paper and gave them along with our wedding gifts.....had some nice comments on the thank you notes.