Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

POSTPONE THE DAY

There are those days when it's all I can do to roust myself out of bed.  It's not depression, it's just a feeling that, as and old friend of mine from England once described it, "it might be easier to wallow in the dirty bath water than to step out clean."  It's that kind of thing. What's the point? I ask myself.  Some of my friends call it cocooning.  I don't know about that.  Aren't there butterflies inside cocoons?  I see only the caterpillar.

O. K., snap out of it!  Sit on the edge of the bed.  See her smiling at you from all those pictures.  She wants you to enjoy the rest of your life.  She'd like to be here with you.  God had other plans.  Is that so hard to understand?  I once heard someone once say that there are only two ways to faith, joy and suffering.  Enough of the suffering, get those feet on the floor.  Don't postpone life.  Go find some joy:


POSTPONEMENT

I lie in bed and watch
as sunshine brightens her smiling picture;
 and I think about postponing today;
like a baseball game,
postponed because of sunshine,
and my wife’s not here
to enjoy it with me.

Sounds pretty good to me,
until I remember
sooner or later
postponed games have to be played;
 as part of a doubleheader.

Do  it twice?
I can barely do it once.
Forget it.
Play ball!

John A. Bayerl, February 19, 2011

 I'll keep finding the faith, dear; through the suffering, and the joy, There's gotta be a butterfly in there somewhere.

1 comment:

alolmsted said...

Hey John, Your blogs and poetry could certainly be used to help others going through their own losses. You are quite talented - and right from the heart. On the other hand, why get out of bed? Well, there are others still on this side who need some of your loving attention and keen sense of humor!! Who around you doesn't need love and a laugh on a regular basis?!