Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, February 14, 2011

A MUSHY LITTLE POEM

Yesterday I attended a luncheon at The Cancer Support Community of Southeast Michigan. Gwen and I attended support group meetings there throughout her illness.  Several of our friends were there.  I ran into a couple of  friend of whom Gwen was quite fond, and they hadn't heard that she had died.  Those are always tough, moving moments.  I was filled with emotion at seeing Gwen's name in gold on a leaf on their tree of life.  Bonnie commented that Gwen was so well known and loved, as shown by the outpouring of contributions in her name.

This morning I spent a pleasant hour observing a student teacher from NMU teaching a gym class of fifth graders in Dexter.  He's really good, and it was fun to watch.  Then, home, and get ready for the my work out; in honor of Valentine's Day I wore my bright red, fleece Land's End sweatshirt, being careful not wear my grey sweat pants.  Those two colors, scarlet and grey, just don't look well together, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them.  The sweatshirt warmed me on the outside.  After the gym, off to the grocery store to get a few things.  While there, I bought a little bouquet or red and white flowers.  They look nice on the mantel, adds a little festive touch. 

OK, I admit it, I'm trying to "be positive", but, Valentine's Day sucks.  There's no other way to put it.  Still, I know that Gwen want m to keep on trying to be as happy as I can be, maybe even get a box of chocolate-covered cherries.

I know this too; the best cure, no, not cure, response to grief is love.  I had a nice dinner with John and Amy and Brooke last night, that was filled with love. Tonight I have a spirituality support group meeting from 6:00 to 7:30.  Lots of love there. I've heard from many old friends and former students today, especially  heart warming was an e-mail message from a high-school friend of Gwen's who just checked in to see how I am doing. I see Gwen's hand in all of this. I also found a valentine Gwen sent me way back when.  There is something so comforting still about seeing her words.  She wrote, "It's a good thing you can't see yourself reflected in the mirror of my heart.  You would be conceited."

Quite fitting, I think, for Valentine's day, although I wrote it in November, is a tiny little poem I wrote for Gwen back in 1962.  She said she loved it.

A MUSHY LITTLE POEM

It’s hard for me to believe it’s true
each time I hear you say
I think about you night and day
and whisper I love you.

In a letter to Gwen,
November 20, 1962

As true today as it was then.  Happy Valentine's Day, sweetheart.

1 comment:

A Myeloma Widow's Journey said...

Your comments about scarlet and grey made me smile. Vern was from Ohio and a huge Buckeye fan. Our son was born in Michigan and is a UofM fan - even has a block M tattooed on his calf. I have a dual UofM/OSU flag I put up on that special Saturday in November to remain neutral.

I dreaded today, but it wasn't as bad as expected. Wish I had thought of buying myself chocolate-covered cherries. I had forgotten that Vern used to do that for me.

Thanks for the memories, John.