Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

FLEECE SHEETS

C. S. Lewis, in his book, A Grief Observed, compares losing one's spouse to an amputation.  I know what he means, except that the phantom pains are more real than phantom.  I know it's time to begin thinking about rediscovering and reinventing myself; at least a little bit.  And, I do.  Some days my heart is in it.  Some days I'm going through the motions.  There are some constants, always the little reminders, like having someone to pull up the blankets to cover your back and keep out drafts.  That's what this poem is about, one of those not so phantom pains:


FLEECE SHEETS

I had no idea they made such a thing
My sister Terri told me about them
Fleece sheets
How warm they are.

I found some at Bed Bath and Beyond
With the 20% off coupon
I didn’t hear Gwen complain too much at the price
So I bought them.

They’re on my bed now
And they are warm
As advertised
Soft, and kind of fluffy.

It’s not like having the real thing
Nothing ever will be
 I’m the one who pulls them up in back
To keep out the winter chill.

John A. Bayerl, February 3, 2011

I woke up early this morning.  I have a busy day ahead.

No comments: