Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Friday, January 28, 2011

It's just not right.

As part of my effort to restore  life to what it was before Gwen died, I supervise two students from NMU who are placed in student-teaching assignments near Ann Arbor.  Yesterday I visited with a young man who gave an excellent lesson on AIDS prevention to a high-school health class.  The lesson included a videotape of young people who were AIDS victims being interviewed.  At the conclusion of the video, in the credits, it was noted that two of the young people had died since the video had been completed.  Of course I cried.  (I'm sure the young man whom I was observing was moved that his teaching performance could bring an old guy to tears.) 

When I arrived home ,  I walked in the front door anxious to tell Gwen all about my interesting morning.  Is it the emptiness of the house, or the quietness that first hits me?   It's kind of like being in a Roadrunner cartoon.  I come toa screeching halt, knowing that all I can do is wait for the rock that Wiley Coyote has alread pried loose to come crashing down on me. And it does.  I've now learned that  it is possible to go through life all flattened out like that. 

The urn with Gwen's ashes is on the mantel.  As I do each time I return to the  house, I take a few minutes to talk with her and tell her about my day.  Next to the urn, there's a picuture of our second wedded kiss.  Now there's a poem waiting to be born:

IT’S JUST NOT RIGHT

Just when I think
thing are getting better
there’s a little reminder
that gets me whimpering
and whispering her name
and asking why.

Today it was
That picture of us
Kissing on the porch
Of the church in Gaastra
Right in front of  God
And everybody

Just the thought  
Of those warm, delicious lips
Excites me yet today
And I feel her wedding lace
Under my hands--
Know again what it celebrated.

The church in Gaastra
Has been moved to
The Iron County Museum
In Caspian.
The picture is on our mantel
Next to the crematorium urn.

The picture and the urn,
It’s still so hard
To comprehend
The meaning
Of those two
Artifacts.


John A. Bayerl, January 28, 2011


I wish I could say I remember that kiss.  I don't, not exactly.  What I do remember is that, after all those month of waiting, it was not a mere peck on the lips.  Also, church or not, it was more than a  kiss for the photographer. Much more.

1 comment:

A Myeloma Widow's Journey said...

"Our second wedded kiss" reminded me I also have a photo like that tucked away in our 41 year old wedding album. We had no money, so only a few photos were taken but that one was special. I'm pulling it out of the album this morning to add to my memorial shelf ... to join Vern's urn, the angel figurines we were given along the cancer journey and other special momentos. Thanks for bringing this special memory back to me, John.