Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, January 24, 2011

V-8 LOW-SODIUM VEGETABLE JUICE

I suppose that in many ways this it a bit of whimsical positng.  There isn't anything a whole lot more common than the juice we drink at breakfast.  What I am learning is that weighty matters are determined not by their physical presence, althougn a big jug of vegertable juice is pretty darn weighty, it's the emotional weight of these commonplace items that counts the most.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that I would one day write a poem about V-8 Juice.  Here it is:

V-8 LOW-SODIUM VEGETABLE JUICE

She loved certain foods
V-8 low-sodium vegetable juice
was a real favorite.
She drank some every day.
She made me buy a big jug of it
the day before she died,
always the optimist.

That juice is not only good,
it’s good for you.
with all those vitamins
and mineral and such.
I get an added bonus,
it’s really good
for my soul.

Now I drink a glass of it every day.
I resist the urge to add a little salt.
She wants me to stay healthy.
Today I got a little worried,
That big jug of V-8
low-sodium vegetable juice
is nearly empty.

 
John A. Bayerl
January 24, 2011


To make matters worse, I don't really like orange juice that much.



No comments: