Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Beatles Revisited


From early on poems were an important part of our relationship.  I read a lot,  and found it fun to rhyme words, sometimes I would put them together into what I called a poem.  Gwen enjoyed my poems,  and would occasionally ask me to write one for her.  It was always difficult for me to do my rhyming under that kind of pressure; but I would always try to please her.  During my year as a commercial teacher in Stephenson my students would also ask me to write poems for certain occasions.  I must have done OK on that because they always asked for more.

Much later in my life I met Dick Mc Mullen, an English teacher and accomplished poet, who introduced me to and encouraged me to simply write what was in my heart--free verse.  Later still, Dave Stringer and Stan Bidlack, both superb writers, also encouraged me.  Dave said, "Write something  every day.  Now and then you will surprise yourself and write something."     Dick was the editor of monthly newsletter that was circulated among our local chapter of the Michigan Education Association.  If one wishes to see what one has written in print, it is good to know an  editor.  This is the first of my  poems that Dick published:

THE BEATLES REVISITED

Let it be
but  don't let it alone
the person no one sees
but you
cries.

A little boy weeping
sometimes a woman
afraid, unsure
but trying

to homogenize without pasteurizing
what I see with what you see
creating real
and free.

A part of, yet
apart from the person
everyone sees.

Tears
          of
               joy.

John A. Bayerl, circa 1980



We talked about this poem, Dear.  You told me  that it moved you.  I told you that it was about a counseling session but could be about any genuine human encounter, the miracle of our love being a  prime example of that..  Today it has taken on more meaning.  Our friend, Mary,  returned my call from last night, and cried as she told me about receiving my telephone message while she was at the bedside of a thirteen-year old girl who died of leukemia.     "You never call me at night," she said, "it felt so good to know that your were thinking about me at that moment."   She also told me that she felt your presence with her all night long.  Then I cried.

No comments: