Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Little things: big reminders

The feeling I get when some small thing reminds me of Gwen is a mixture of gratitude and sorrow.  The temperature was in the 40s this morning when I headed over to Pioneer High to spend an hour with Nolan in the AP Physics class he teaches first hour.  The car was cold when I got in, and I could hear Gwen telling me to open the vents on the dashboard and put the fan on high so that she could quickly warm up, then snuggling close to me to get warm.  Am I grateful that we were able to share moments like that?  Of course I am.   Am I sad that we are no longer able to share them?  Of course I am.

Later in the morning I had an appointment to get my teeth cleaned.  I remembered to brush my teeth before heading over to the dentist; as Gwen would have me do.  It never made sense to me that I should clean my teeth before going to get them cleaned; but I never raised that issue with Gwen.  She had beautiful teeth--pretty hard to argue with that.  I thought about my lovely wife as I brushed my teeth.

On the way home from the dentist's office a song by Tracy Grammer came up on my i-Pod.  It's was a sentimental, sad song entitled It's Always Winter When He (She) Is Gone.  I said it out loud in the car: "You can say that again!"

This was one of those days when my calendar was filled.  In early afternoon I had my singing lesson, which went very well.  As I walked through the parking lot afterwards I was singing the song Kyle and I had worked on.  When I got into the car I felt Gwen's presence in a way that made aware that she had enjoyed my singing and was happy that I was taking lessons.  

One more thing on the calendar today, Dear.  My friend Tom and I have gotten the Men's Club at church going again, and that's tonight.  Sister Dorothy was kind enough to help us get going, and she will be with us tonight.  I know you love that; a nun working with a men's club.  I can hear you laughing now; you always had that little anti-establishment streak in you.

No comments: