Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Self-improvement Wednesday

In spite of what can only be called a self-improvement day for me, at one point I found myself sobbing.  It was while I was taking laundry out of the dryer and folding it.  Gwen always complimented me on how carefully and well I folded tee shirts.  As I moved an exceptionally well folded stack of tee shirts into the laundry basket I looked up the stairs and realized, it felt like almost for the first time, that when I brought them upstairs Gwen would not be there to fuss over how well I had folded this week's batch of tee shirts.  As I write about moments like that, I know it is important for me to face them and work them through if I am to continue being the strong person Gwen wants me to be.  Easy to say; never easy to do.

That wasn't the only "self-improvement"m thing I did today.  Bright and early, at  8:00 a. m., I met with Kyle for my singing lesson.  With each lesson I become more aware of how the discipline and skills it takes to sing well  can be used in other areas of my life--breathing properly, for example.

At noon I had my golf lesson.  Today it went very well, and I was again reminded of how the discipline it takes to hit a golf ball efficiently carries over to other areas of my life; standing strong and tall comes to mind.

Right after golf it was time for my memoir-writing group.  Today I wrote about Gwen's dad's funeral.  Barney and I got off to a rocky start.  I took his gruff, unequivocal NO! when I asked for Gwen's hand in marriage as a challenge to earn his respect and trust, and over time I was able to do just that.  I grew to love him, and I miss him.

Lots of sweet reminders of you today, Dear.  I particularly enjoyed remembering how we schemed against your dad to convince him that we were ready to accept the responsibilities of marriage.  It was a great moment when he told you that he would hold the ladder when you eloped.  

1 comment:

BForever said...

And so dear John, are you ready for this challenge? Know that I am there holding your ladder.