Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

AQUA VELVA MAN

Today I continue to feel that I'm beginning to turn some sort of corner.  Even the gloomy rainy day did little to spoil my mood.

This morning I visited another student teacher--this one, in AP Physics at Pioneer High School here in Ann Arbor.  The critic teacher, Steve Armstrong, is also a good friend.  It was good to once again see a really competent student teacher teach a superb lesson.  I reflected that this has been a week of contrast for me.  Tuesday I visited Kara, the second-grade teacher, and she taught students how to count coins in a piggy-bank.  This morning it was a complex lecture on acceleration and gravity.  On the way out I was able to visit with one of the counselors at PHS whom I know.

It's hard for me to give myself permission to enjoy myself in these new ways of being.

This was fun doing, and it shows a side of Gwen that not many people knew:


AQUA-VALVA MAN

We went out dancing on our first anniversary.
She was radiant in her blue silk dress,
wore my favorite fragrance.
I was clean shaven,
hair Bryl-Creamed back,
at my Aqua-Velva best.

The band played Blue Moon,
I held her close,
she pressed her body close to mine,
laid her head on my shoulder,
looked up with her big blue eyes,
said in her sexy, teasing voice:
“You smell like the backseat of our ’58 Chevy.”

John A. Bayerl, September 29, 2011

Slowly, Dear, I am learning to honor you and your wish that I go on living.  We were given a gift, and it was such fun--all of it.

2 comments:

Patty Kline said...

Ahh, the memories. So glad you have so many good ones to look back on, John. Thanks for sharing the poem. I'm glad you are beginning to enjoy doing things again, too.

Andy said...

Love that last line in the poem, big brother. :-)