Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

An uplifting experience.

This morning, for the first time in a long time, I had quite an uplifting experience.  One of the two student teachers I am supervising for NMU this semester has a placement at Creekside Elementary School in Hartland, and and it was time for my first visit.  The young woman whom I was going to observe had been placed late in the year, so I hadn't had a chance to meet her beforehand.  Although the student teachers NMU sends out are always superbly prepared, one never can be sure until there is a chance to see them in a classroom setting.  There's always a little trepidation before the first meeting.

Kara and I had exchanged e-mail messages, and she sounded enthusiastic and excited about working with the second-grade students in her classroom; but, one never know. . .

It was a pure delight meeting her in person and seeing her in action.  When I arrived she and Becky, her supervising teacher, welcomed me while getting a class of 30 youngsters organized.  It was easy to spot who Kara was; she was the center of attention of a gaggle of students, some asking her questions, others tugging on her hands, and one leaning her head on her shoulder.  "This is going to be fun," I thought to myself.  And, it was.  Kara did a masterful job of teaching the lesson she had prepared, and I was introduced to modern classroom technology in the form of something called a Smart Board.

After her lesson was completed, I met with Kara to give her some feedback--all positive, and her principal made her way to the classroom to join us.  She too was young, attractive and enthusiastic. On the way home I thought about how fortunate I am to have opportunities like this to be with both the young students and committed educators who are passionate about their profession.  It certainly helps me to continue feeling young.

An added bonus was when I learned that Kara had been a diver in high school and that she had attended NMU on an athletic scholarship as a member of their swimming and diving team.  All four of our children were divers, and Mike dove at UM.  It was good to have that extra connection with this student teacher.

Of course, you were on my mind all morning, Dear; it was still hard walking in the door of the house and not being able to tell you about my uplifting experience.  I console myself in knowing that you heartily approve of what I was doing; it's the kind of thing you hoped I would continue doing. 

1 comment:

Susie Hemingway said...

Just think how proud your wife would be knowing you were still giving guidence to someone starting out on their career road.

You should lift your head high today John. Continue in the knowledge that you are not giving up - no matter how hard it is. Well done.