Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gather Ye Rosebuds

Yesterday was Labor Day, and I tried not to think about that day six years ago.  This morning, as I sorted through some tee-shirts, I came across the one that said, "Mackinac Bridge Walk, 2005."  I bought it for Gwen after she and I had completed the five-mile walk across the bridge that connects Michigan's Lower Peninsula with the Upper Peninsula--a Michigan tradition.  The night before, Dick and Mary had joined us at our cottage on St. Joseph Island, and Mike and Deann were also there with their kayaks--they chose not to make the bridge walk with us.  Gwen did not enjoy being in high places, but, true to her adventurous spirit, she joined in on the fun with her sister-in-law Mary at her side. 

As I look back at that day, and remember Gwen's vibrant good health, I still find it hard to believe that only six months later she would receive the devastating diagnosis that would change the life of our family forever.  What I draw from this is the importance of appreciating what I have while I have it; even now, as I struggle to find meaning in my life without my perfect partner.  "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may," came to mind, and I found the first stanza of that well-known poem by Robert Herrick:

Gather ye rosebud while ye may,
Old time is still a flying:
And this flower that smiles today,
Tomorrow will be dying.

Today, Dear, as I stood looking out at our yard and your garden, I saw a hummingbird flitting about some of your flowers.  My heart always leaps when I see one of those tiny birds, remembering how much you enjoyed watching them.  It's nowhere near the same as having you here, but it does make my heart a little less lonely; gather ye rosebuds. . .

No comments: