Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Totally Unoriginal Poem


This will be a short posting--soon I will get all dressed up in my M Go Blue outfit, and Anne will drop me off at the Big House where I'll remain until probably after midnight.

Lately I've been enjoying listening to country music.  While we were growing up on the farm, we listened to what we then called hillbilly music all the time.  During my undergraduate days at NMU my roommate, Smitty, loved country music.  How we loved that song Long Black Veil by Lefty Frizzell:

<http://youtu.be/50k18gL76AUell>.

In June of 1998, when I moved to Marquette to begin as director of the school-counselor training program, Gwen had to continue working as a nurse at Kellogg Eye Center until her birthday on October 9, and each weekend she drove up to  Marquette.  During that time she also developed a liking for country music, and from then on we always enjoyed listening to it on many of our trips.  Now, when I listen to it, it get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as I listen to the heart-rending lyrics of many of the songs.  How does that match up with my total enjoyment of Mozart?

Although I have every reason to be grateful for the many gifts I receive daily, today I miss you, Dear,  with an urgency and poignancy that confirms the depth of our love.  Here's that silly little poem I wrote for you a long time ago; somehow it fits my mood today:


A Totally Unoriginal Poem

Roses are red,
violets are blue,
I love Gwen,
and she loves me too.

In a letter to Gwen, October 3, 1962


  

No comments: