Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

SCENIC OVERLOOK



SCENIC OVERLOOK

Epoufette Bay Scenic Overlook
is what the sign said,
we parked the car in the shade
walked hand-in-hand
down the dusty trail
to the rail fence
at the edge of the cliff.

The most northern tip
of Lake Michigan
glittered below,
the afternoon sun;
made sparkling
the drab homes
in the fishing village
a few yards offshore.

She stood next to a tree
for the picture.
I looked at the picture today
saw her stand there
in the shade of the birch
hands behind her back
legs crossed like a ballerina,
looking out at the world
beautiful, proud and hopeful.

There, by ourselves, but never alone
we shared an embrace, a kiss
vowed to remember this place
always.

This summer
now alone, by myself
I once again parked in the shade
walked down  the trail
to the scenic overlook.
The birch tree remains there
a lonely sentinel
and she once again stands there
hands behind her back
beautiful, proud and hopeful
happy that we remembered.

John A. Bayerl, December 3, 2011

That's how I miss Gwen tonight, remembering her in full beauty, always proud and hopeful.  That summer when we stopped at the overlook was when we were newlyweds, driving down to Ann Arbor to begin our first adventure.  This summer I visited the same spot when I was on my way home from my trip to Portland, and, yes, I could see her standing there next to the same birch tree she stood next to all those years ago.  I'll post a picture of that tomorrow; it's the picture I use as wallpaper on my computer.

Tonight, Dear, I attended Dick's Christmas Concert with the Novi Choraliers.   They have a new director who is someone I so wish you could have met and seen in action.  That's what's so hard about all this; it's important to do things like this, and Dick and Mary make me feel so welcome and are welcoming and loving.  Yet, there's an emptiness to the whole experience because you aren't there with me.  So great was our love.


1 comment:

Susie Hemingway said...

Understanding well all that's written here. The pain and the powerful love you are feeling. It is such a difficult time of the year but then all the days are difficult really. Such a beautiful poem that brought tears to my eyes John. Just the same when looking through my collection of old photos. I recall the place and time with such intensity. I can smell his skin and even remember some of his words. Is the second year in some ways even more painful I wonder, as we brave photos, letters/diaries. Slowly slowly with those I feel. We have such wonderful memories of our loved ones don't we John. Blessings and hugs.