Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

TONIGHT TEARS (AGAIN)



TONIGHT TEARS

A familiar country road
at night
made special
by sheer ordinariness   
Dare I say sacred?

The big hill always surprised us
just by being there.
Look, the lights of Brighton
and Howell, and I think that’s Novi.
All twinkling and sparkling
in the cold clear night.

So beautiful.
You would say.

Comfortable silence.
down the hill
toward the freeway
and that life.

I reach out
you take my hand
squeeze it between your knees.

No need for words.
Tonight, tears.

John A. Bayerl, February 15, 2011

It's been a busy day; driving over to Milt's Mom's funeral with Dick, Mary and Terri was something I've been needing to do.  Spend good quality time with family, and then  more of the same at  the funeral service and lunch afterwards.  Memories of Gwen's funeral did come flooding back, but there was always someone there to share my "quiet moments" with me.

Driving in the car today I was reminded of the many trips Gwen and I took together.  Sometimes they were long journeys, other times just a short trip to visit family or friends.  TONIGHT TEARS  is a poem I posted back in February; I was reminded of it today as we made the trip home from Grand Rapids.  

How many times, Dear, did you grab my hand as we drove along?  You would squeeze it between your knees and whisper "I love you."   Each time that happened it would give me a warm feeling, but not as warm as the feeling I get tonight as I once again recall those ordinary moments that are now so special.



1 comment:

Barb said...

So touching and powerful