Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Friday, December 23, 2011

SWEET INNOCENCE

 SWEET INNOCENCE

We found it by chance
the little diner
that served grilled pecan rolls
on Sunday morning
we went there after Mass
enjoyed the coffee and the rolls
but mainly each other’s company—
our own special time
in our own special place
two kids from the U. P.
newly in love
with everything
bright and shiny.

Time was forever then
we had each other
and needed nothing more.

Now our secret rendezvous
is a bed and breakfast
I pass by it often
pecan rolls just a memory
yet I feel such softness in my heart
remembering how everything fit
all was perfect as could be
we had each other
wanted for nothing. 

John A. Bayerl, December 22, 2011

I've been having particularly poignant memories of Gwen tonight.  In a good way.  I think she loves the little Christmas Tree that Nick, Izzy and Brooke decorated.  Ginette gave me the idea of putting baby's breath on it, and a long time ago Gwen wanted to put red ribbons on our tree, but somehow we never got around to it. Tonight we did.  

Tomorrow will be Christmas Eve; we'll celebrate at Terri's house first, and then at home with the whole family gathered around.  I will set an empty plate at the table when we eat, and we'll drink a toast of Bailey's Irish Cream, Gwen's favorite when she made her famous "I should drink more" statement.  

How could I not think of you tonight, Dear,  with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat as your grandchildren made an ordinary miniature evergreen into a thing of beauty?   As you are reflected in them, so are you also in the tree--a comforting thought.

No comments: