Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday morning

It's very early in the morning as I begin this post, about 5:00 a. m.. another restless night.  My alarm clock just went off, another day when I get up before I'm supposed to get up.  Will there ever be a time when I have anything even resembling normal sleeping habits?  Not that it matters, I can always take a  nap later.  When I went upstairs to turn off the alarm I glanced out the window and noticed snow on the roof of my neighbor's house.  Snow on April 18; it reminded me of what my dad would say when it snowed late in the spring, "poor farmer's manure" he called it.  Those of us with farm backgrounds will know what that means, everyone else will just have to figure it out.  Later this morning I have a final visit with one of the student teachers I supervise for NMU.  I'll have to get back to this later.  Snow on April 18?  When did Ann Arbor move to the U. P.?

The drive over to Clarkston High was pretty messy, driving home was better, the snow had stopped and the roads were mostly dry.  There are probably a couple of inches on snow on the ground, it will be gone by tomorrow.  This is another of those days when I miss Gwen so much.  Driving up the freeway this morning brings back all the times we would head off on exciting adventures or home to visit the folks.  I remember too the trips in the old Ford station wagon with four kids on board.  Seat belts were pretty much unheard of in those days.  I have memories of kids jumping around from seat to seat, and the inevitable squabbles about who got hit by whom.  I'm  sure my kids could tell some good stories about those trips. Now they're off on their own, making  memories for themselves.

After my workout at the gym I ran into a former student in some of my classes at EMU who is now a counselor at a middle school in town.  Her mom, who was in a support group with Gwen and me for a while,  died of lung cancer about three years ago.    Counselors know all the right things to say and how to say them; this one was no exception.   They're also give good hugs.   It was another of those chance encounters that leave me feeling blessed to have so many  friends who care for me.

As I drive down the road, I still finding myself reaching over to the other seat, hoping to find a hand hold, a knee to squeeze.  We had such good times, and you were always there with me, Honey-bunch.  That's a lot to miss.  Who wouldn't be sad?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad, I loved the old Ford station wagon. We really did have alot of great memories from that machine. Especially the Folgers coffee can ;-)
Your Son Mike