Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Some long overdue recognition.

Sleep didn't come easily last night, so I was up early and then off to the gym.  It's a cloudy, rainy day, but the temperature is in the 60s; so, off to the driving range after the gym.   I needed a few things at the grocery store, and had trouble remembering a particular product I wanted to buy, reached for my cell phone, and prepared to call Gwen to ask her.  I hate when I do that, but, at the same time, love it.

When I returned home I did a little cleaning up in the flower garden in front of the house.  Wish I could say I enjoyed it, but, unlike some of my siblings, I just didn't inherit the gardening gene. Or, maybe it's just a natural consequence of too many hours as a child spent pulling mustard in the oats field, hoeing corn, picking beans and cucumbers, and so forth.  I must add, however, that, when I raked away the leaves and other remnants of winter I was pleased to uncover a beautiful, paper-white crocus.  Another gift from Gwen.

Lately I've been thinking about how I would like for Gwen to be more appreciated.  She was really quite a remarkable person.  She wanted to write some memoirs, but her decline became rather rapid, and she was never able to do it.  Perhaps I can write a little about her, things that I know to be true, and in that way at least some of her history will be recorded.

 First and foremost, she was a far better student than I ever was.  As a child, she insisted on attending the Catholic school, I believe it was called St. Agnes, in Iron River, and in addition to getting a solid education she was always at the top of her class.  During her four years at Stambaugh High School she was on the all A honor roll during several marking periods, and graduated as one of the top five students in her class.  For three of those four years she received certificates for perfect attendance.  She was seen as a leader by her classmates.  Her election as homecoming queen during her senior year is well documented.  In her freshman year and each year thereafter she was selected as a cheerleader.  This was an honor that was not easily achieved. Tryouts were in the gym before the whole student body as well as a panel of teachers, coaches and students. She and her friend Rene were so proud of accomplishing that four years in a row.  And, being a cheerleader was a yearly commitment, not only during the football season, but also basketball.

Other honors she achieved in high school included the Betty Crocker Homemaker of the Year Award and the Margaret Wallace Scholarship when she enrolled at N. M. U.  Those who knew Gwen always tell me about how much they admired and respected her.  As far as talking about her own accomplishments is concerned, it is fair to say that if one were to look up the word unassuming in the dictionary Gwen's picture would be on the page.

I plan to attend a union meeting with son John soon.  Tomorrow I'll talk more about why marrying Gwen was the smartest thing I ever did.

No comments: