Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Turtle necks for Cancun

This will be somewhat brief; I'm all packed and ready to fly out to Colorado very early tomorrow morning.  I can't stay up late as I've been doing lately.  Tonight after dinner I drove out to John's for a short visit.  Amy and Brooke were at tumbling class, which was perfect because I left with John some gifts I had bought for Brooke at Easter.  We enjoyed a good laugh about the gifts because, although I enjoy getting gifts for our grandchildren, it is really Gwen who is the driving force behind it.  She would find a way to reach down and smack me if I were to forget the sacred obligation of getting grandkid gifts at holidays, birthdays, special days and just about any day she decided that one of them needed something new that only she could provide.

A little later our daughter, Anne, called and we had a few laughs at Gwen's tendency to over pack whenever we went on a trip.  In particular, she remembered the trip we took to Cancun with the whole family the year she was diagnosed.  After Gwen had fallen and broken her ankle and learned that we would have to fly back to Ann  Arbor on Christmas Day, Anne helped her pack her suitcase, and was flabbergasted to discover that her mother had packed a turtle-neck sweater.   One never knows when it might be necessary to wear a turtle neck sweater to the beach in Cancun in December.  It helps me to talk about Gwen with our children because they bring out who she was with all of her human flaws and quirks.  I tend to remember only the good stuff--and there was a lot of good stuff.

I may have to take a break from writing tomorrow; I'm not real sure what the plan will be at Jeanne and Bob's home.  Tomorrow will be hard, Dear, getting on that plane all by myself.  You'll be there with me, of that I'm sure.    

No comments: