Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Reflections

Maybe it's the beautiful weather and the pleasure of being out of doors, on the golf course this morning I again felt a melancholy sadness that Gwen and I will never be able to enjoy the simple things of life that brought us joy.  Then, of course, it is Friday and all those memories associated with Friday nights come rushing back in.  Lovingly beautiful memories of greeting each other after a week apart.  Sadly beautiful memories of spending that last Friday evening with her. 

I am excited about heading up to the U. P. next week.   The six years we spent in Marquette were among the best of our lives.  I just heard from the woman at NMU who has been helping me that the class we're going to teach is very popular--30 students already enolled.  I'll bet there are some of my former students included in that number.  Should be fun, but, again, all those memories.

One more tough day to get through.  Sunday is Father's day.  I found a card that Gwen gave to me some years ago on a Father's Day.  It's just a greeting card, but these words bring me comfort, even now: 

Lookin back,
the thing I'm most grateful for is that,
years ago,
despite my youth and foolishness,
I managed to do a brilliant thing--
I fell in love with you.
It was something I've never regretted. . .
and I never will.

This is in recognition of Anne's birthday on June 15:

All these years later, Dear, I still feel so lucky to have found someone to love who always made me feel loved in return and found perfect ways to tell me of that love.  Makes me want to cry.

No comments: