Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Joy on the 17th green.

I've felt different today--more with it.  The weather helped, sunny and warm but cooler and dryer.  Perfect weather for golf, and I was quick to respond when Ed called to ask if I could get away for a round.  It was a great day to be on the golf course, and we enjoyed ourselves.  Then, there was the 17th hole. . .later.

I love my doctor, and today I had an appointment with her for my annual physical.  Before the poking and and prodding began, she talked with me about how the grieving process is going. And, it was just that, a nice talk, no sense of hurry or obligation.  She is definitely not one of those doctors who talk to their patients with one hand on the door knob. I was pleased, though not surprised,  to know that I am currently in good health. I have some labs to get tomorrow, but don't anticipate any surprises there.

Bob, Jeanne, Nick and Izzy and I had dinner at the Prickly Pear in downtown Ann Arbor--superb Mexican cuisine.  It was another of those firsts for me; Gwen and I enjoyed a night out there on more than one occasion, and there are so many fond memories of that.

When we returned home I got out my Townie bike and went for a ride.  Again, the evening was filled with memories of times when Gwen and I would go for a walk together--the smell of flowers and freshly mowed grass, after all the rains everything was new, the sound of the wind in the trees, and the taste of fresh air were all reminiscent of the many times when Gwen and I would go for a stroll after dinner.  As I rode along I had the insight that all of those walks in the past were with me tonight, and I could feel Gwen's hand in mine. I wish I could be more clear about this, it's the realization that all of those memories will always be with me and I can draw on them whenever I want.

Back to the 17th green.  My second shot was about a foot off the green and 40 feet from the pin.  Before hitting the putt, I took a moment to look about me.  This green is high on a hill overlooking the Huron River, Gallup Park and the hills beyond.  It was a particularly spectacular view today with everything in bloom, fresh and new.  As I lined up my putt I had this wonderful feeling of Gwen's presence.  I playfully said to her, "I can feel you there, Gwen; how about you give me a little sign?"  I hit the putt confidently, without hesitation and it tracked straight to the hole and in, dead center.  Gee, that  feeling of certainty is going to stay with me for a long time.

Thanks for the special moments with you today, Dear.  Topping a day of special happenings was the realization that since beginning this blog on January 9 there have been more than 5,000 views of it, literally around the world.  All I can say is that it's  humbling, and the many comments I receive are always comforting.  I continue to try to remain true to my original intent which is to honor a woman who led an exemplary life in a quiet, non-assuming way and made me always proud to be her husband.

No comments: