Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Marvelous Monday

The funk I've been in lately lifted a bit.  Today was an exceptionally wonderful day filled with the love of family.  Brooke accompanied me at golf this morning, rode on the cart with me and won me the envy of all the other old guys.  She behaved  perfectly and chatted away all morning long.  Her duties included keeping score and helping put head covers back on my clubs, both of which she did admirably.  Following golf we had breakfast at a pancake house, and I was tickled as could be when Brooke ordered Mickey Mouse pancakes; just like the old days when Gwen would have been with us.  After a bit of a respite and TV time at home we capped off the day with a movie--Kung Fu Panda 2.   I even caught a bit of a nap during the movie, something that Brooke tactfully observed on the way home.  Before leaving to drive her home, she made a point of telling me to look at the kitchen table.  She had written me a note, short and to the point as lovingly as only an eight year old can do:  "Dear Grandpa  I had so much fun!  Love Brooke."   I caught myself being sad that Gwen wasn't able to be there with us, until I realized that  in a very real sense, she was there all day long.

This evening I attended the Spirituality group at the Cancer Resource Center.  It was a small group, just the leader, Debbie, and I, but  what we lacked in numbers we made up for with a quality dialogue.  Debbie also brought the sad news that Laura, the last member of the support group that Gwen started with five years ago, died last Thursday.  I just remembered that there is one other member of that group who had an early stage cancer and who is now fully recovered.  I saw Elanor at Gwen's funeral.  You think you'd be used to it by now, but it's still so hard to type those words "Gwen's funeral."  It's a strange phenomenon that I can conjure up a clear picture of each of those group members who died except for one--Gwen.  She needs to pay me a visit.

Tomorrow is my voice lesson, the last one for a while as I will be at NMU next week.  Deciding to have those lessons has turned out to be one of  the best decisions I ever made.  It continues to be a challenge, but is also rewarding in ways I never anticipated.  Probably the really smart thing I did was to pick a teacher who is so patient and understanding.  My only sorrow is that I won't be able to show Gwen what I've learned; she always liked it when I would plunk on my guitar or sing for her.

Dear Gwen, We had so much fun. Love, John.


1 comment:

A Myeloma Widow's Journey said...

Love that you had a 'marvelous Monday', John. A good day indeed.