Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

THE SLEEP GODDESS

It's been a long and busy day.  I'm sure I won't need any help from the Sleep Goddess when I crawl in bed tonight.  Bob, Jeanne and the kids left for Colorado this morning after a really lovely few days with me.  While I easily slipped back into my "being alone" routine, the quiet in the house is more noticeable than usual.

It seems like I have an awful lot on my plate lately--all good stuff; and, as I've said in the past, "better to burn out than rest out."   I'm thinking hard about the class I'll be teaching this summer with son John.  I have a timeline in my head for when everything has to be in place.  This week should be very productive as far as getting everything lined up is concerned.  It better be, there are only 18 days left until the class begins.

After Jeanne left I got the lawn mowed, it was pretty hot and sticky, but the grass is finally dry so it was a lot easier.  Then a  little more yard work; Dick gave me a great idea for the extra little garden I'm creating; I'm always amazed, though I don't know why I should be, at how generous he is with his time and talent.  I think he knows how much I appreciate all he does for me.

This evening, after only six and one half years, I  had an extended conversation with our back fence neighbors.  Their son and his wife were over with their six-month old baby daughter, enjoying the warm summer weather.  We leaned on the fence and chatted for a good long while.  They are really nice, and I'm glad that the opportunity finally presented itself when we were able to engage in something more meaningful that a cursory nod as we passed each other with our lawnmowers.

Tomorrow is son John's birthday, and I hope to spend a little time with him and Amy and Brooke. He was up north fishing this weekend, but came back tonight.  Also touched base with Anne and Mike by phone today; the family is intact.  Have to remember to call Gwen's brother Ted tomorrow, he called while I was out talking to the neighbors.

I recorded my last voice lesson, and tonight had a chance to listen to it.  OMG! I have some work to do. Elise, my teacher, made another step toward sainthood in my eyes with her incredible patience and encouragement.

This is something  whimsical that I thought about a little while ago:


THE SLEEP GODDESS

Those nights when sleep won’t come
I would welcome a visit from her,
someone I’d call the sleep goddess.

She would tell me that everything will be fine,
then rub expensive oils into my back,
help me count the ways with Elizabeth Barrett Browning,
and sing The Tennessee Waltz
the way Patti Page did.

She would lie next to me
let me relax into her soft warmth
ask me if there’s anything else
I’d like her to do for me
before slipping off to sleep.

Yes, I would say to her,
it will take all your magic—
there’s this one thing. . . .

John A. Bayerl, May 10, 2011

I had no need for a Sleep Goddess when you were with me, Dear.  













1 comment:

BForever said...

I think I have be short-changed, I'm still with the Sandman!