Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A homecoming of sorts.

Marquette welcomed me home with weather that matched my mood--the thermometer at the bank in Harvey read 46 degrees, the locals like the rain,  "you don't have to shovel it," one of them told me.  The ride up was filled with sweet memories of the many times I've made this trip with Gwen at my side.  Gwen and I and our dog Max had our places along the way where we'd stop to rest or just enjoy the view.  Gosh, how I missed that.  There were many tears.

John made it in safely early yesterday evening, and we then joined Todd and Tammy for dinner.  It was a pleasure getting to know them in a more relaxed manner.  As I told him more than once, in a loving way, Todd is certainly his father's son.  Tammy is the one I've never felt I knew very well, and we corrected that last night.  She is really a sweetheart; I hope Todd appreciates how lucky he is to have her.

When I returned to the room, John left to meet with a friend, and two of my former students called to tell me they were in the lounge and asked me to join them and their husband and significant other.  It's been a long time since I hung out in a bar, especially a noisy one, but I enjoyed my visit with them anyway.  They were two of my favorite students when they were enrolled in my school counselor training program.

I OK, but morning came early.  The day of class(es) went well.  I was particularly please with how well the afternoon session went, the one with administrators and teachers included in the audience.  John and I worked very well together and we've already been asked to return next year by the dean of the School of Education. We ended up with 35 students enrolled in our class, a number that pleased the dean immensely--they try to have at least 10 students enrolled.

After tomorrow I will stay in Marquette overnight, and then drive down to Menominee on Friday to visit with my sister, Cookie. I hope to be able to have a visit with Gwen's brother, Ted, on the way there.Then on Saturday I hope to drive to Gasstra to visit with Gwen's sister, Patti, before heading back home on Sunday.  This has not been an easy thing for me to do, but I am glad I did it. All day today former students who are taking other classes here dropped by for a visit.  They know I am a little tender now and need some loving, and I sure felt it.  My niece,. Jill, is enrolled in my class; she is really special to me for a lot of reasons, and I was sorry I couldn't spend more time with her.  Hopefully tomorrow after the class ends I will be able to visit with her.

The weather remained awful today, it was pouring rain most of the day.  It's finally cleared up a little bit this evening, but it's pretty cold.

This trip has evoked some poems that I need to work on a little more.  One of them will be about driving through tears, the other about a rest area.

I felt your presence in the classroom with me and John today, Dear, I know you were proud and happy.  Several of my students remembered you and reminded me of how I talked about our love.

No comments: