Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Doing fun things.

It's best to keep busy doing things I like to do.  Slowly getting my e-mail straightened out is taking a lot of time, and it isn't something I particularly like to do; part of it involves looking back at e-mail messages back to April, 2010.   It's amazing how "normal" things seemed back then.  This afternoon I decided to take a break from my chores and play nine holes of golf.  The course is still flooded from all the rain we've had recently, and it felt good to walk with a push cart, in spite of the heat and humidity.   On one of the holes I was amazed and delighted to have a hawk land no more than ten feet away from me.  I've never seen a hawk that up close.  I suppose some would call it coincidence, but I choose to see it as a messenger from Gwen.  As is often the case, I had been in a somewhat melancholy mood; wishing Gwen were there with me--seeing the hawk cheered me up immensely

Tonight was the big night when I went to see Ricky Skaggs in concert at  The Ark. There were no reserved seats, so son John volunteered to go early and get in line--what a good guy.  I picked up my grand-nephew, Sam, (I think that grand-nephew is the proper way to refer to the son of my nephew, Tom.) and we drove downtown and found John waiting first in line.  It was a beautiful summer evening, and downtown Ann Arbor was hopping.  All of the outdoor tables for restaurants on Main Street were filled to capacity. Thanks to John, we had seats in the front, center for the concert.  There's something so special about live performances, and the show was fantastic; especially being able to do it with John and Sam.  The more I get to know Sam the more I like him.  He is bright and sensitive, and this fall will be taking a poetry class at WCC.  I told him that I've written more than a hundred poems since Gwen's death, and suggested that at some point we may want to share our writing.

Tomorrow will be another busy day; I have an all-day training for my volunteer work as an usher at UM football games. 

The things I did today were fun and enjoyable, but not nearly as much fun as they would have been had you been with me, Dear.   I remember past times when we enjoyed shows at The Ark with our friends, and more than once tonight I found myself being thankful that son John was seated in the chair next to me.  Bluegrass music has some pretty sad songs about losing the love of your life, part of you was there with our son.







No comments: