Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Who Knew

So I had a 6:30  tee time this morning.  Apparently Ed hadn't seen the text I sent him, so there I was alone at 6:30 a. m.; ready for a morning of golf.  The starter asked me to join up with a couple of other guys, an X-ray technician and a nurse from UM Hospital.  They were very nice, kind of middle aged; and we got along well; in fact, as we were finishing up,  it made me feel good when one of them said he hoped we'd run into each other again.  Early on they were impressed when I bogeyed the first hole and parred the next two:  then the wheels fell off. . .

After golf I had a nice breakfast at Cafe Marie; a cute little restaurant with a French motif that is near the golf course.  It took some courage for me to go there; Gwen and I often met our friend Marian there before she died of cancer.  Gwen and I would also have a "romantic interlude" there every now and then.  The meal was great, and as I sat alone at the table I could feel Gwen's presence across from me.  It's so hard missing her actual physical presence.

As I was running a few errands I drove by the dealer where I bought my Prius, and stopped in to get an estimate on what it might be worth as a trade-in.  My car is in high demand on the used car market, and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse--I'm now the proud owner of a new Prius.  Yesterday I had AAA plan me a route for the trip I plan to take to Washington and Oregon two weeks from now.  I suppose at some level I wanted to make that trip with a new car.  I've been in touch with friends from when I attended graduate school in Portland, and also hope to be able to get together with my nieces, Mary Kay and Kathy, as well as my nephew Frank.  In a way, I suppose it will be good to get away from Ann Arbor for a while: I did that a couple times this summer when I went to the U. P., but this will be very different, and I'm getting excited about it.  I know three other guys my age who have done something like this; and they found it to be quite healing.  There's this growing awareness that I'm soon going to have to set some goals for how I plan to spend the rest of my life.  These were supposed to be the years when Gwen and I enjoyed travel and other adventures: no matter what, she will always be with me.

You'll be sitting in a new seat, Dear, but you will always be there with me.  My e-mail is still broke, I'll have to work on that tomorrow.

No comments: