Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

TWILIGHT GOLF COURSE

My heart has been heavy lately.  Late yesterday afternoon I went alone to Leslie Park, a golf course in Ann Arbor that in 2009-2010 Golf Magazine rated as the best municipal golf course in all 50 states.  That turned out to be just what I needed.  I got to the course around 5:00, and it was pretty busy.  I played the back nine first; it was slow going, and I soon caught up with a guy who was also playing alone, a guy from South Korea.  His English was pretty bad, but we were able to communicate well enough that I was able to ask him if I could play along with him.  We enjoyed the rest of the round, congratulating each other on good shots, moaning about missed putts, all the little rituals that golfers know.  On the eighteenth green, I reached out to shake his hand, and, quite to my surprise, he gave me a big hug.  I was quite moved by that.

I played the front nine alone, it wasn't busy at all, and the one threesome ahead of me allowed me to play through.  I played quite well, for me that is, and was pleased with being able to break 50.  A golf course at twilight is always a special place for me to be, it brings back fond memories of when I was a kid as well as times when Gwen would accompany me.  She was there last night too.  I wrote a poem about it:


TWILIGHT GOLF COURSE

There’s something special
about a twilight golf course
that gentles my heart,
quiets my soul.

Shadows are longer,
grass is greener,
new mown clippings smell fresher,
birds sing more cheerfully,
tears stand taller, straighter,
all is still.

I find myself at peace,
at one with nature,
and my beloved is there
for me to talk with,
about important things.

When I stow my clubs
in back of the car
I am more at peace
questions have been answered,
My perfect partner
takes the seat next to me
and we head for home.

John A. Bayerl, July 5, 2011

Thank you Dear, for being there on the golf course with me.  It made me feel so much better.  Anne has been home for the past two days; we've enjoyed sharing memories of the last two years with you.


1 comment:

BForever said...

What a wonderful post John. Your poem expresses so well those grateful moments we have in peace, sensing their presence at our side. Thank you for having me along.