Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, July 4, 2011

SWEET MEMORIES

This is a real quiet July Fourth holiday for me.  Not at all like the days when we would look forward in anticipation to a family outing at Buhr Park to watch the fireworks display.  Anne and I chuckled in reminisce of a time when we rode our bikes to the park for the fireworks.  Most of the time it was a wagon loaded with an ice chest of drinks and snacks, some blankets to sit on and the promise of fun at a family outing.  As my kids call to check in on me today I am reminded of and thankful for the bonds we formed during those times; strong even to this day.

Yesterday I attended a Detroit Tiger ball game with my brother and we saw an exciting game.  It was family day at the ball park, and it made me happy to see many young families out enjoying themselves. Of course, there's always the thought that it would have been such fun to be there with Gwen. That feeling will never go away completely, of that I'm quite sure.   Driving home in the car later those same feelings arose; it's as though all the sweet memories get compressed into one moment and it's more than the moment can bear to contain it all.  Gwen would sometimes talk about how she would be bursting with tears over some special moment, like our wedding or the birth of a child; that's how it feels.  And yet, in my heart I am grateful for those moments.  It would be sad to feel that there is nothing to mourn.  A heavy heart is far better than no heart at all.

I look at our picture, Dear, the one from the reunion last year.  You look so good  in your pretty black dress, and always a smile. At that time it would have been hard to comprehend that in only a few months you would no longer be on  this earth.  I miss you, and wish we were going to see some fireworks tonight.


2 comments:

Susie Hemingway said...

You're doing well John - lovely post - enjoyed reading. Blessings and peace dear friend.

A Myeloma Widow's Journey said...

Your post gave me a "sweet memory", too, John. Vern had a friend who had season tickets to Tiger games. Great seats - first row, first base side next to the dugout. I even caught a ball once. Well, really my seat caught it. Vern tried to catch it while also trying to protect me from getting hit and it went down between my back and the seat back. I remember there being many hands grabbing at my behind trying to get that ball but Vern retrieved it and he got The Mad Hungarian to sign it, too. Loved the hotdogs at the old Tiger Stadium.