Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Different Kind of Day

It's just been different today.  At mass this morning we sang On Eagles Wings, I couldn't get through it.  Too many memories.  My picture was in the paper today with an article about a writing group I attend.  I've heard from a lot of people.  Wonder what Gwen would think about that.  She was a pretty private person.

I've begun sorting through a folder I found that is full of poems I've written over the years.  Some of them are pretty old!  My plan is to clean them up, type them up; put them i n a file in my computer.  I wrote this one over 20 years ago, but it kind of describes my situation today as I try to live without Gwen at my side.


JOB CHANGE          

This kind of thing was
so much easier to do
when I was twenty five
years old.

Being more than twice
as smart
is not enough reward
for being less than
half as young.

Back then it was simpler.
I did what I did
for as long as it took
to do it.

Now, knowing more
about what I need to know,
I do what I can
and hope it’s enough.

God!  If they knew
I was sitting at my desk
writing poems
would I ever be able
to convinced them that
I’m only trying
to face fifty firmly?

John A. Bayerl, June 11, 1987

It kind of describes pretty well what it's like doing what I'm doing now as I try to satisfy the description for the job nobody wants.  Good night love.

No comments: