Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Long Ride Home

Bob, Jeanne, Nick and Izzy left for a vacation in Dubai today.  They called from the airport, and I had a nice talk with Jeanne and the kids.  I made them promise to take lots of pictures and videos to put on FB.

Sometimes it's amazing the way things happen.  This morning I went over to the gym and had a good workout.  Then, it was a really nice sunny day, so, rather than go right home, I decided to take a little ride over to a coffee shop in Saline that I like.  I'ts called The Drowsy Parrot.  On the way over I thought about my friend, Lou Thayer, who lives in Saline.  Lou was a colleague in the Leadership and Counseling Department at EMU for the 20 years I worked there as an adjunct lecture; he is one of the best, and I admire him greatly.  His wife died of cancer about three years ago and then about a year ago he was diagnosed with cancer and has been undergoing treatments.  I found myself regretting that I didn't have his phone number so that I could call and have him join me at the coffee shop.  As I was ordering my coffee, Lou walked in.  I pointed out that there are really no coincidences.  "Life is an endless series of intertwined events", is what he said.  No matter what, it made my heart feel so good to have that encounter with him.  He's continues being a treasured friend.

Early in the afternoon I participated with Story Time Players in a reading at Northside School, the school where Jim and Liz's Max, Luna, and Anna attended during their stay in Ann Arbor.  The temperature got up into the 60s today, and, right on schedule, my friend, Ed, called and suggested a round of golf.  We were able to get in nine holes and the weather remained fantastic.  Tonight was my online bereavement group.  Now, at last, a chance to unwind a bit.

Son Mike was so nice this morning.  He sent me an e-mail message with a song by Patti Griffin that I just love.  It's called Long Ride Home.  I found these lyrics particularly meaningful:

The house is dark as it can be
I go inside and all is silent
It seems as empty as the inside of me.

Although it is good to be busy doing things that I enjoy, I still face daily everything that's contained in those lyrics.    The golf course where we played is the same one where I played last fall on the day that Gwen died.  It was tough reliving all those memories. For just a brief moment, on the golf course, I had this wonderful feeling that Gwen was there with me, enjoying it.  That was so great.

No comments: