Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Flannery's Angel

Another Friday night; I don't think the time will ever come when Friday nights won't bring with them memories of Gwen's and my last time together.  Fortunately, Friday nights are also infused with memories of when we just relaxed and rejoiced in being able to enjoy being with each other.

It has been wonderful having Anne here for a while.  We had such a nice time with John, Amy and Brooke at dinner last night and today just got caught up on some TV watching.  She and her friend Sue left for up north this afternoon.  She'll be back Monday, and then Jeanne and her family will be here on Tuesday.  It's all good.

It has finally stopped raining, and late this afternoon I was able to mow the front lawn and part of the back.  There are still a couple of puddles in back, but no rain is forecast tonight, so I should be able to finish the job tomorrow.  Tomorrow morning is also our friend Caroline's funeral.

Recently I came across this quote, and find it to be appropriate for where I am at in life right now: We are born into a time not of our choosing; given a task not always to our liking, and we will find God there or not at all, for God is nowhere else.  In keeping with that theme, I also enjoyed this poem that was sent to me:

Flannery's Angel



Lead us to those we are waiting for,
Those who are waiting for us.
May your wings protect us
                           may we not be strangers in the lush province of joy.

Remember us who are weak,
You who are strong in your country which lies beyond the thunder,
Raphael, angel of happy meeting,
                                                            resplendent, hawk of the light.

"Flannery's Angel" by Charles Wright, from Bye-and-Bye: Selected Late Poems. © Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2011. Reprinted with permission.

It's been a busy day, Dear, but you were the first thing on my mind this morning and you will be the last thing I think of tonight before I fall asleep.

No comments: