Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, May 9, 2011

MONDAY MORNING GOLF COURSE

Another beautiful spring day.  After 18 holes of golf, I came home and mowed the lawn. This evening I'll attend the spirituality group at the Cancer Support Community, and right after that pick up Annie B at the airport .  It will be so nice to have her here for a couple of night.  Tomorrow is a big day. . .my first singing lesson.  I'm excited and kind of scared, but, as I told Elise, my teacher, if not now, when?

Being in nature is healing, even if it's only on a golf course or walking behind a lawn mower.  I really do feel Gwen's presence when I am out of doors--she loved being in nature.  This poem tries to capture what it felt like today:


MONDAY MORNING GOLF COURSE

At the first tee I breathe
early morning air, and feel your presence
everywhere, smiling cheering me on.

The perfume of new mowed clippings
is the scent you chose to wear;
trying to impress me on this date—
reminding me of picnic plans
and private places at the lake. 

A proud mother leads a parade
of fuzzy youngsters to swim lessons
her eyes always on  me
keeping them safe from harm
as you still do for me.

A  young frog chorus boldly sings 
in the bright spring sun.
Not yet knowing about chanting
more solemnly at evening vespers;
today they are God speaking to mortals.

At the final tee,
above me a single sparrow
taunts and torments a black crow
as you attacked the black evil
that took the body
but not the soul that is with me here.

John A. Bayerl, May 9, 2011

It was a great date, Dear, and I didn't golf too badly either. Thanks.

1 comment:

Charles Nethaway said...

Really a nice combination of sharing your feelings and writing a very nice poem. When I went to Arlington National Cemetery to see my wife's niche, Carole's niche, in the outdoor Columbarium, trees were nearby, puffy clouds were partially hiding the setting sun, rays from that sun peaked out in spreading light, and I felt the presence of Carole, yes, not just from the niche where her urn rests but from everywhere.