Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Monday, May 16, 2011

TOYOTA WAITING ROOM

There I was this morning, sadly saying goodbye to my delightful overnight guests at 7:30 a. m.  I had a tee time at 8:00 a. m. in the league I play in.  Turns out, it would have been far smarter for me to stay home and prepare a nice breakfast for them.  It would have been a horrible day for any outdoor activity, a strong north wind, temperature in the 40s, a downpour last night had created puddles all over the course.  Is it any wonder I had the worse score I've had in years?  I was hitting the ball well, it's just where I was hitting it that was wrong--in the woods, across the road, in the pond.  After each green the four of us would look at each other and ask if we were done yet.

The rest of the day was fine; spent some time at the gym, washed and dried bedding, watched some old family videos.  It's still awful hard to see Gwen in those videos, yet it's such a treasure;  doing all the things we did together with the family or on one of our trips somewhere.  Just hard to believe that she's gone.  At least it was nice to see her and hear her voice.  I don't think it's stretching things to say that she and I really enjoyed the special love that we were given, even though it may not have always been obvious.

Later in the day I was going into a store when I encountered a familiar person; a former superintendent of the Ann Arbor Schools.  I hadn't seen him in years.  We chatted and reminisced a bit; he's older than I, and lost his wife a few years ago.  Scott was always a classy guy, and he still is.

Gwen would often complain that I spent too much time with my computer; I thought of her as I was writing the poem the other day when I was waiting to have my car serviced at the dealer:


TOYOTA WAITING ROOM

There are half dozen others with me
waiting for oil changes, tire rotations
wiper blades; things like that.

Strike up a conversation, pass the time.
 How'd the Tigers do last night?
Nothing but blank stares.

My fellow waiters
are all accompanied by a BFF.

They love their friends deeply;
I can tell.
They stare intently at them.
They just sit and stare.

No one says a word, almost rude,
the way they just stare
as they hold them close,
and gently fondle them;
mostly with their thumbs.

I dare not speak.

John A. Bayerl, May 14, 2011

Kind of a busy day tomorrow, Dear, Story Time Players in the morning, singing lessons in the P. M.  I had an interesting call from someone at the Cancer Support Community today.  Tom and Marge out in Phoenix say hello, Tom was a real BFF today, he sent  me some amazing resources and suggestions for the class at NMU this summer.  No Mozart tonight, and the Double Eagle Polka came up on the iPod again, time for a little cardiovascular exercise.  Wish you were here with me.  I really wish you were here with me. 





1 comment:

BForever said...

How very brave of you to watch family videos! Mine sit on the shelf calling out to me; however, there will be a time I'm sure, when I will be able to pick one out and put it in the player.

Is your time at the dealership not almost like when you go to a social where no one dares speak of the one thing you would love most to chat about? Awkward!