Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The sun is out.

Today started out miserably again.  It was cold, cloudy and rainy.  Later in the day, the sun shone and I was able to get in 18 holes of golf.  The first nine I was by myself; my friend Ed joined me for the second nine.  I have found that when I'm on the golf course alone I can feel Gwen's presence.  It's as though she is  there with me, enjoying being out in nature as she always did. It is one of those rare times when I feel some peace.  There were other times when that happened today, that peaceful feeling.

I have been trying to place a young man from NMU as a student teacher in the physics department at Pioneer High, and today he paid me a visit and I then accompanied him to meet with the Pioneer teacher with whom he will be placed in the fall.  It all went well.  The young man was accompanied by his girlfriend, an absolutely delightful young woman, and I took them to lunch before visiting the high school. I was reminded of a long, long time age when a young man from the U.  P. was accompanied by his fiancée when he was interviewed for a graduate program in school counseling at the UM.  The guy, of course, was me, and Gwen made the trip with me.  It was about a month before our wedding.  We had to promise we would behave ourselves--we didn't.  Fond memories. . . 

This evening when I took the garbage cans out to the curb a young couple came strolling down the sidewalk with a three year old girl in tow.  The little girl was beautiful with long blond hair and big brown eyes.  She immediately wanted to know who I was and I told her.  She announced that her name is Isabelle, I told her what a beautiful name that is and that I have a granddaughter with the same name.  Next she patted her mom's stomach and informed me that there was a baby inside.  "Do you have a baby inside?" she asked as she patted my stomach.  I told her that I was too old to have a baby.  The only sad part was when she wanted to go in the house and meet my mommy.  From the mouths of babes. . .Later on, as I read my e-mail I was so tickled to receive one from my eight year old granddaughter, Brooke.  Just one sentence, but a day's worth of love.

I awoke to a poem this morning.  I called it DREAMLESS AWAKENINGS.  It's too serious for this post; maybe tomorrow. Tonight I'm listening to Brahms' Requiem.  I read somewhere or heard someone say that everyone who has lost a loved one will enjoy and find peace in that music.  I certainly do.  I am also remembering another quote I heard recently:  "I hear music and I know that there has to be a God."

I just realized that all four of our children called me today.  Yeah!  I see your hand in that, Dear, and thank you for visiting me on the golf course.  Good night.

1 comment:

Am I Truly A Widow? said...

Little blessing help along the way! How wonderful! Thanks for sharing.