Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Good Saturday

Today has been productive, and, aside from the constant reminders that the love of my life is no longer waiting for me to come in from whatever I am doing, it has also been a good day.  John and Brooke came by for lunch; Brooke is such a sweetie,  how could I not love her?   I made grilled cheese sandwiches and potato-leek soup; pretty good if I do say so myself.  The lawn finally dried out, and I was able to mow it. It also reminded me that I still have much work to do in the gardens.  I also got some laundry done.  The best part is, I've had a bit of a sore back, and the things I did today, laundry, mowing the lawn, cleaning house, all made it feel better.

I've changed my mind about being a volunteer usher at UM football this fall.  One of the guys in charge called and asked if I could work as a supervisor in one of the new towers.  That won't be so bad, it's indoors, air conditioned, no one cussing me out because I tell them they can't bring a camera case into the stadium.  John and I joked that I could have name cards printed with my title: "Assistant Supervisor, Second Level, East Tower, THE BIG HOUSE."  Should be fun.

So today has been a pretty good day.  I almost hate saying that because it can all change so quickly.  Also, I have so many friends, literally around the world whom I love, and I try always to be conscious of them and their pain.  Grief is hard.

Today Brooke and I saw a bright red cardinal land outside the living room window, and we agreed that it was grandma paying us a visit.  Thanks, Dear.  As we said when we first decided that we were meant for each other, "you are the last thing on my mind at night and the first thing in the morning."   It's not always easy, but I'm doing it, being the strong person you want me to be.


1 comment:

A Myeloma Widow's Journey said...

Happy you had "A Good Saturday", John. Your duties at The Big House remind me of my Vern. Teachers always need a second job, of course, so when we moved to Las Vegas he started working at the UNLV football stadium parking cars. Moved up the next year to supervising all of the ushers at the stadium and the new basketball arena and did that for 20 years. After he retired from teaching, he opened the Orleans Arena as Guest Services Manager. He enjoyed that second job as much, if not more, than teaching.