Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Friday, May 6, 2011

A Good Night

I've just gotten back from attending a concert with son John, and it's near midnight.  Sleep hasn't come easily lately, so perhaps if I stay up later I'll mange to sleep through the night.  The concert was wonderful, a singer/songwriter named Greg Brown. He has a cabin in the U.  P., talked and sang about trout fishing and lots of other things.  My favorite song was Let the Mystery Be, about not over-thinking things that are beyond our understanding.  Let the mystery be.  By chance we sat next to two women whom John had met in connection with his summer job in Dearborn.  They were quite entertaining, and nice to be with.  Yeah! I was out in the world, and I enjoyed it, even cracked a couple of jokes.

Early in the day I had another nice time with John when I met him for lunch at his school.  I met some of his colleagues/friends, and was again pleased at how well like and accepted he is by his peers.  Also spent a little time with his class.  Once again marveled at the diverse student population in his building, and remembered how Gwen and I had made the same observation when we visited with John on another occasion.  A final highlight was when encountered the counselor in John's building, a student whom I had taught in a counseling practicum while I was an adjunct lecturer at EMU.  She was so complimentary, and reminded me of the time I had taken her class on a ride on our pontoon boat when we lived on Baseline Lake.  Gwen was always supportive when I came up with hare-brained schemes like that; even helped out with food preparation and accompanied us on the boat ride.  Gosh, how I miss that woman and all she meant to me day in and day out.

Tomorrow and Sunday will be a challenge.  Tomorrow the Kentucky Derby will be run. Gwen loved horses (I should have bought her a horse.), and we both looked forward to watching the Derby on TV. In all likelihood I won't watch it this year.  Son Mike must have seen this coming because he sent me a link to You-Tube video about Secretariat winning the triple crown.  I remember writing about having the whole family home on Gwen's birthday, about a month before her death, and we all attended the movie Secretariat.

Izzy and Brooke have been sending me beautiful texts, Dear, the love you always showed them is being returned to me.  Thanks and good night.

1 comment:

Charles Nethaway said...

You continue to have a wonderful relationship with Gwen, that is obvious! And good.