Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Waiting for WAITING

Another busy, eventful day.  This morning it was off to Caroline's funeral.  I was happy to see some of my old friends from the support group at CSC.  Frank seemed to be doing OK; I also got to meet his two daughters, it was particularly moving to talk with one of the daughters who is getting married in two weeks.  Caroline was a very caring and organized person, and I got the impression that she had prepared her daughter well for what has come to pass.  It was hard not to compare this funeral to Gwen's.  Frank told me that Caroline had wished to be cremated immediately, so a box with her ashes was there instead of a casket, and her ashes were spread in a memorial garden adjacent to the church immediately after the service.  The Mass and ceremony were quite simple but moving and meaningful.  It wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be, although I am still in a quiet mood from it.  I also ran into Alice, who sang in the choir, and her husband Jerry, former neighbors a long, long time ago.

After the funeral I received a phone call from my nephew, Kevin, who was at Saline High School where his seventh-grade son was playing in an AAU basketball tournament.  He asked whether I could join him, which I did, but not before I first went home and finished mowing the lawn during a time when the sun shone brightly.  I'm glad I did; it's raining again tonight.  Anyway, seeing Kevin and getting caught up on event in his life was worth the drive over.  As I was leaving I met an old friend and former colleague from my days at Community High.  She mentioned about how she remembered what a great relationship Gwen and I had and what a sweet person she was.  I said it was the wind in the parking lot that caused the tears.   On the way home I did a little shopping at a Walmart Store, and those blue feelings came back as I recalled shopping with Gwen at the Walmart in Marquette not so long ago.   I continue to struggle with my state of disunion. 

There are several things I have yet to do tonight, Dear, and a busy weekend still ahead.  If the weather permits we plan to do some work in your garden Monday.   I was going to include a poem, but I'm not quite ready to let it go yet, so it will have to wait. Ironically, I called it WAITING.

2 comments:

Susie Hemingway said...

Although some sadness in this post. I feel from it John, that you are making some good progress with your healing - with much courage. Gwen would be proud of you, completing tasks that are so hard to achieve and bring back sad memories and feelings of loss.
Keep strong in the knowledge that there are many friends who read here and so wish you well. Blessings and Peace.

Am I Truly A Widow? said...

John its always so nice to read your poems. Waiting sounds like one worth waiting for. You sound wonderful and glad to see you back online!