Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

In loving memory.

I am blessed with many friends. One of them, a dear Internet friend in Canada, sent me this tribute to Gwen.  Her website can be pasted into a browser:

<http://bforever-awidowsperspective.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-memory-of-gwendolyn.html>

The word anniversary is not in my vocabulary when days like today arrive.  Anniversaries celebrate joyous occasions.  Today, on WUOM, our local NPR radio station, an announcement from me is being read.  It simply says: "In loving memory of my wife, Gwen."  I just heard it now, and it made me smile.  Also, this morning my doorbell rang and a local florist delivered a single, long-stem rose.  I don't know from whom it came; the enclosed card read::

Proof That True Love Lasts,
                Forever,
Remember To Find Your Smile.


I'll post a picture of the rose on  my blog tomorrow.  I'm a lucky guy to be blessed with friends like this.

Today I'll try to keep it normal.  This morning I'll mow the lawn and chop up leaves, then I'll watch some football on TV, and at 5:00 I'll attend a Mass for Gwen.  This evening I'll remember what happened a year ago, and grieve the loss of the one who made me complete.  I've also prepared a poem for today:

COLD NOVEMBER SUN

The cold November sun
fills my house with grey today,
so unlike a year ago
when the same sun
warmed our hearts
as we rose to greet the gift
of another day together.

Go play in the warm sun,
but don’t be too long,
you told me.
I’ll take a nap.

You awoke from your nap
I was there, as promised.
We shared a meal,
not knowing
it would be our last.

A year later, you wish
for me to play again
in warm November suns,
and I do—
but not today
when the sun is cold and grey.

John A. Bayerl, November 12, 20111

A year later, I  miss you more than ever, Dear.  Today I am filled with gratitude for the friends we have made, and, for our children and grandchildren: I see your love in them every day.  

3 comments:

Barb said...

I can't read this without crying -- and without feeling a sense of awe by the expressions of such deep and lasting love.

Patty Kline said...

Beautiful, John. Thinking of you today as you remember your dear Gwen.

Kaye Royer Letskus said...

Your words are powerful--- I am honored to share your thoughts and feelings on this sacred day.

My thoughts and prayers are with
you.

Kaye