Lover's Key, Florida

Lover's Key, Florida
I WILL FIND OTHER SEAS.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

THINGS LEFT UNDONE


The weather is horrible today; cold, cloudy and rainy.  It doesn't matter, Jeanne and Bob and Nick and Izzy will be here soon, and Anne has already arrived.  Thursday will be family time with John, Amy and Brooke.  There is much for which I am thankful.  Yet, there's also a big hole in my life where Gwen was.  I suppose everyone who has lost someone they love feels that way; especially as the holidays approach; the feeling that there was so much more that we could have done together:


THINGS LEFT UNDONE

How could it have been time
for you to go?
There are so many things
left undone.

We never got around to
ordering that Slim Jim
at the Big Boy.
We didn’t get to see and hear
Celine’s show in Vegas.
There was no made from scratch
German Chocolate Cake
on my birthday.

Had you stayed
we would have done
all these things.

It hardly seems fair
to content myself with gratitude
for hours of pleasure we shared.
Yet, somehow hope remains
as life goes on. 

John A. Bayerl, November 22, 2011

There was a lot we didn't leave undone, Dear; that's the trouble with the good stuff. . . .we always want more.


1 comment:

Am I Truly A Widow? said...

What a lovely post. A beautiful poem too. Thanks for sharing. :)